Care that is respectful, compassionate and centered around your needs.
Midwifery and Birth Center
The midwifery model of care is based on the belief that pregnancy and birth is a normal life-affirming event in a person’s life.
Nine Short Months Birth and Community Wellness Center is a place where birth can take place in a home- like setting while supporting normal physiological birth. Midwives attending births at the center are committed to the following values (under normal circumstances):
- Labor begins and progresses on its own
- exceptions: medical issues requiring expedient birth or transfer to hospital, clients approaching 41-42 weeks gestation, labor stalling at an advanced stage or not starting by 24 hours after ruptured membranes
- Water for pain relief and birth
- exceptions: Needing gravity for progression, complicated labor requiring more visual and hands on guidance, anticipation of a complicated birth based on labor progress or other known history
- Birthing people should be surrounded by their birth companions of choice- first time natural birthers should have a doula AND have attended a childbirth class specifically designed for those desiring a completely natural birth.
- exceptions: support people who are not supportive with your decision for an out of hospital birth should not be invited. Our rooms have limited space and guests are not permitted to wait in the waiting room. 3 support people max is recommended, and all must be healthy.
- Upright positions for labor and birth
- exceptions: Sometimes the baby comes out when you’re laying down. If so, Great!
- Immediate Skin to skin with your newborn
- exceptions: if baby needs immediate help to get breathing, even so, this is usually done while the umbilical cord is intact.
- Delayed cord clamping- we do not cut your baby’s umbilical cord until after the placenta is out
- Breastfeeding supported here- you will be referred to a lactation consultant. No bottles used at our facility unless parents plan to bottle feed.
Throughout your pregnancy, labor, and birth, you and your support person are an integral part of our team.
Birth Center Virtual Tours and Orientations
Thursday, November 11, 2021 – 6:00 PM
Monday, November 22, 2021 – 6:00 PM
Wednesday, December 8, 2021 – 6:00 PM
Thursday, January 6, 2022 – 6:00 PM
Tuesday, January 18, 2022 – 6:00 PM
Wednesday, February 2, 2022 – 6:00PM
Lactation Basics Class
Nine Short Months Birth and Community Wellness Center 28250 Franklin Rd, Southfield, MI
You know that a hospital birth does not feel right to you, but you aren’t completely sold on giving birth at home either? You will love our new natural birthing center at 28250 Franklin Rd , Southfield, Michigan. Ample parking and surrounded by restaurants and lodging, this is an ideal place to plan to birth, even if you are not from the immediate area. When its time to have your baby, you will be in one of our rooms with spacious and comfortable beds. You can eat and drink while you are in labor and give birth in the position of your choosing. Each room has a birthing tub that you can give birth in. The choices are yours, and our deluxe suites are truly beautiful. Call 248-792-3322 for more information about our tours, or register using the link above.